Thursday, March 8, 2012

HELP! PICK OUT YOUR FAVORITES!

HI EVERYONE (WHO IS STILL READING THIS!)

Before I update this with the actually exciting things that have been going on (teaser: mom and dad visit California! Jimmy and I go camping! I make an awesome dinner WITH an egg on top!) I need some fresh eyes.

I've been taking an introduction to printmaking class at the ICA (their thank-you gift to me) and I've decided to give the people who wrote me recommendations for grad school each a print as a thank-you gift.  So I need to pick out the 4 best prints that would be best for gifts that I can pretend my past professors will hang on their walls but probably won't. Anyway, this is going to be mostly a photo blog documenting the journey of Meg learning how the heck to print.  Because it is a very tricky, very weird, very frustrating process.... it's actually kind of cool to look at my transformation over the weeks. I'll let you know which ones I'm considering but I wanted to post them all here, mostly so I could show them to mom.

SO without further ado, here's the first of the first of the first:

#1.
Things went downhill for a very long time after this one. Still one of my all time favorites of all my prints but I don't think I would ever be able to give it away.

#2.

#3.

#4.
I'm a big fan of this one and the second print of the same plate (a "ghost" print as it's called in the biz).  Count this as one of the ones I'm considering for a present


#5.
I also really like this one.  This picture doesn't really capture the light green with hints of blue very well, but I promise the color is very delicate and peaceful in real life. This is also one of the ones I'm considering giving as a gift.

#6.
this was the first drypoint I did (used an etching tool to draw the elephant on a separate piece of clear film-like plasic and then put him on top of the print.) as well as the first stamp I ever made.

#7.
 
But of the two, this ghost is my favorite. The texture underneath the elephant turned out to have a much cooler effect than I expected.
 #8.
This is the first xerox "transfer" I did.  Jimmy says that this is one of his top favorites and I should definitely give it as a gift to someone who would appreciate it.
 #9.
a ghost of the first one.
 #10.

#11. 

 #12. 
this one and its ghost are two more favorites and I'm considering one or the other for a gift.

#13.

#14.
an obvious favorite. I mean, come on, it has dinosaurs that I got to draw myself.

 #15.
  
#16.
one of Jimmy's favorites

#17.

#18.
the beginning of prints made out of my collagraph plate

#19.

#20.
 and a detail of the feather texture in the corner....

#21.

#22.

#23.
adding more feathers on top created a cooler effect than I thought it would. Jimmy really likes this, my teacher really likes this, I'm just not sure.

#24.
the ghost of #23. I like the colors in this one a lot more

#25.

#26.

#27.
last day of class and i finally start working on a longer board... and like it a LOT more.

#28.

#29.
maybe it's the dinosaurs... because I absolutely love this one. I would love to give it as a present but it would have to be just the right person.
 #30.
oh and i also obviously love this one too.
 #31.
my teacher then convinced me to do a parade of all my animals. they didn't all fit but I figured this was a good enough mix. I don't really like the print but maybe paired with it's ghost it would be nice. but i do love this detail of just mr.t-rex and mr.elephant:

#32.
the ghost. I fee like this parade would make a really good cover for a childrens' book.
 #33.
and last but not least, my two favorites. fireworks over mountains. I could part with this one, but not the ghost. I love it too much..
 #34.




ok well that's it for now! I need to hurry off to work. Let me know which ones you think would be best.  I'll try to get another post in by the end of this week with actual updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment