Sunday, July 24, 2011

En route to Page, Arizona

Ok, trying out something new. I'm going to try to write as much as I can while laying in a tent and then post it next time I find internet.  Not that it really matters to any of you but... it will save us a lot of time at internet cafes.  And I won't feel rushed. So please, enjoy this non-rushed entry.

Driving out of Colorado was sad but still absolutely beautiful.  We crossed the continental divide and ended up driving down some pretty epic roads.  (7% grade for 5 miles for all you technical folk)





standing over the divide






OKOK I know, I'm sorry. Enough with the Colorado pictures, right?  Just wait til we get to Antelope Canyon. And Zion.  You think I'm picture-crazy now.  Things kept on getting even more spectacular. But enough with that. RIGHT NOW in the story, dear reader, we had finally driven out of Colorado and Jimmy and I were back in the desert. This leg of the drive took us through New Mexico and right on through to Arizona.  We were actually right in the Four Corners area... and followed the signs to go check it out... but when we realized that you have to pay to go look at this one random spot in our country where four invisible lines apparently all line up and a bunch of people use it as an excuse to overprice random objects like jewelry, tee-shirts and probably a kitchen sink... we promptly turned around right before the pay station and drove out of there- snapping as many FREE pictures as we could.  All we got were these two:





But, hey, no big deal.  Better things were waiting for us. It was really during this part of the drive when the scenery really started changing drastically for us East Coasters.  Huge mesas and buttes were just popping up in the horizon like it was no big deal and Jimmy had a moment of "THIS is what I've been waiting for."  









Alright so ANYWAY, the final destination for this drive was a campground right on Lake Powell in Page, Arizona.  But the main attraction here wasn't the lake (although it was an amazing color and it did feel FANTASTIC to finally jump in some water since we hadn't showered in days.  No sirree.  The pull for Page, AZ is Antelope Canyon - basically one of the most amazing slot canyons in the US.  ( I want to say in the world but I won't claim that authority since I have seen them all... yet).  And I say one of because we saw one of the other ones in Zion National Park.  Now, I think to really do Antelope Canyon justice I'm going to give it its own entry and just overwhelm all of you with the pictures we took.  Since there is no other way to explain how beautiful it is.  But in the meantime, I promise there are still good things about the Lake Powell area that aren't just totally awesome slot canyons.  In our extra downtime (stayed there for two nights as well) we: swam in the lake, found a secret beach, saw some beautiful sunsets, AND visited Horseshoe Bend.  And can  just say I was not at all prepared for the stomach-dropping awe that Horseshoe Bend inspires?  It was like having the wind knocked out of you.  It made me feel like I was in a constant state of free fall.  And for something so absolutely huge, I'm baffled as to why it's not a much more important landmark.  It made me want to fly, to kayak for days, to yell and to just sit in silence for days just staring at it.







All in all, kind of completely amazing.  Page, AZ also supplied us with a much needed A/C and internet break and an overdose of an international community.  By this I mean, there were about 7 million more Frenchies, Germans and unidentified other Euros also all camping and touring around the city at the same time as us.  But none of them found this secret beach:

Ok, enough of this. Next up: Antelope Canyon aka nothing short of amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment