Thursday, July 21, 2011

Land of the Pine

Alright, now to answer the question you all were dying to ask:  "Meg, did you love Colorado?"

Answer: YES.

But before we get to that... the fun stopover activity of the day - and polar opposite of the Enforcer in Arkansas the day before - was a quick little drive and walk around a volcano.  Hmmmwhat? Volcanos in New Mexico?  Yep, we found one.  Capulin Volcano.  Almost hit some cows that decided they'd rather stand in the road than on any inch of the MILES of grass around the road but we drove up a volcano just to look around.

Jimmy learnin' up about volcanos
And then we hopped back in the car and rolled back down the road, steering clear of all four-legged animals once again.

While the drive to Colorado through northern Texas and New Mexico was ridiculously flat, kind of boring, and rather hard to stay awake through (see picture for reference):

Yes, that's a welcome to Texas sign that the Texans themselves have destroyed

When we finally did roll into Colorado, even though we were greeted with more rain, it was an explosion of terrain, curving roads, and PINE TREES.  And then as we got closer to our campsite we found ourselves on this road lined with perfect cliffs and pine trees everywhere.  I had this odd realization that THIS terrain is what everyone tries to mimic in those "frontier town" exhibits in Disney World.  I had this realization over and over again while in Colorado.  It was just so beautiful.  I mean, you could argue that the reason why I loved Colorado so much is that after a few days of intense heat and dry, flat land, the sight of pine trees just made me so happy and made me feel so at home that I instantly fell in love with it all.  It's ok, I'll accept that argument.  It's probably at least half true.





We stayed in Colorado for two nights just so we could really take advantage of the landscape.  And the fact that mornings were actually cool, the days weren't overbearingly hot and the air was just so fresh.  We went for a hike the next day in search of black bears.  No, just kidding.  We didn't see any sign of black bears at all while we were there.  Went for a hike jus'cuz.





Oh and then we stuck our tired feet in this river after.
We made burritos for dinner that night, since we were getting so bored of pasta and chili. Fun fact: fresh veggies are super refreshing after a day of hiking.  Actually, scratch that.  They're always good.

Blast, I wish I could write more but we've already been at this internet cafe for a while and we're about to leave Arizona... Jimmy's getting a little antsy with me and all my typing.  I'll try to type while we're driving or something creative like that.

Hugs and kisses to everyone!
Meg

2 comments:

  1. Meg and Jimmy~ This is Jimmy's Aunt Marce...Hi! Just wanted to let you know how much Oma and I are enjoying your 'blogward ho'(as in westward ho :)). The pictures are great and it looks like you are really taking advantage of the experience. Are you collecting flora and ephemera along the way so you can make a book about your trip when you get to CA?
    Also, are you going to continue the blog as you get acclimated in CA? I would also like a picture of you and Jimmy as I seem to keep missing the chance to meet you(I either leave as you arrive or arrive after you have left). Understand that when we do meet we will talk about art museums and play Scrabble but no hiking okay? This comment is going to post as Marj(Oma) but it's really Marce okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why hello Miss Mysterious Marce! (yes, i'm making you share in this nickname) I'm super glad you've been reading it and to answer the main question - yes, I love Scrabble.

    Ok sorry, more seriously, yes! I'm hoping to keep it up and running at least for a little while in to California as we observe the oddities of this humidity-lacking, sunshine over-dosed land.

    I'll see what I can do about a picture of Jimmy and I. I think he has one. maybe? Who knows- it can be a treasure hunt.

    Hope Fairlee is beautiful, say hi to the lake for me!

    ReplyDelete